Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my montipora corals are changing color what to do?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Thanks

How are you measuring phosphates and nitrates? What is your tempand your salinity(specific gravity)?

If the corals are losing their color, are they browning out? getting pale looking? or white? If they are browning, it is a phosphate/nutrient issue or lighting issue. It could also be water parameter issue, but you would be seeing tissue loss I would think, versus seeing a change in coloration. Do you run a refugium? Without running a skimmer, what are you using to remove proteins, wastes, and nutrients? Also, how often do you do water changes, and have you switched salt mixes recently or skipped a couple water changes?

Zooxanthellae is an algae( a dinoflagellate). It's color is brown and/or green(drab green). When there is an abundance of nutrients in the form of nitrates, nitrogen, or phosphates, then the algae blooms in the corals. It does not allow the natural pigments of the coral to show, you are seeing the zooxanthellate. Plants also like a lower kelvin temp of lighting. As our bulbs degrade over time, the spectrum shifts. This shifting in spectrum can also cause algae populations to grow more.

If you only have a color shift, but everything looks healthy still, then I would do a 25% water change. Then in 3 days, do another 25% water change. After another week, do another 25%, and then do regular weekly 10% to 15% water changes. Without running a skimmer, or ozone, or something to remove DOC(dissolved organic compounds), then you have to do large water changes to remove them, and dilute them. If you have a refugium, make sure you harvest the algae on a regular basis to remove thos nutrients fromt eh system. SPS, acropora and montipora, are very sensitive corals. They shift in color easily. The most important thing for them is stability.

The most difficult thing for us is to keep our tanks clean. They are nothing like the ocean. We are polluting them daily with feeding the fish, and minor and major elements are getting used by corals and not getting replaced. A small water change just dilutes the pollution, and it continues to build over time. The key is trying to keep the water as clean as possible while feeding the fish and corals. This means strong water circulation to keep food and detritus in suspension until it can be filtered out and removed. Even with strong water circulation, there are always some dead spots where detritus will settle out or get caught. This then basically sits and rots and pollutes the tank further. Find these spots and make sure they are cleaned when you do water changes. Hopefully we can help you get those colors back.
    "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional....."
    Member of JARC(joliet area reef club)

Thanks

Okey. i use saliferts water tests when i test the water. The Temp in the tank is 26 degrees celcius, and i run a salinity of 1.025ppt. I think i have to low nutrient levels in my tank, no macro algae will survive or grow in the tank, and as for other algae they wont even show up.

The montiporas are browning out and the acroporas are getting pale. i use an external filter to remove some nutrients. Otherwise the corals looks healthy.

I make a 15% water change every week, and i havent switched salt mix or brand and i always do water change every week.

I changed to new lightbulbs 2 weeks ago so they are not old.

Im thinking about starting up a refugium and connect it to the main tank just because i dont run a skimmer in the tank. I only have 2 nano fish in the tank the rest is sps coral. Is it nessasary to run a skimmer in the system when i only got 2 fish?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Thanks

Hmmmm, something is wrong. Do you have someone locally that you can borrow some other test kits from so you can compare to make sure yours are accurate?

If you just had pale colored acropora, and told me you only had two small fish, then I would say your corals are starving or not getting enough food and nutrients. But the browning of the montipora along with the pale sps has me baffled. That is unless the acropora are slightly bleaching from the new bulbs. It is hard to say. Did the shift happen a couple days after you replaced your bulbs?

Do you use any supplements, vodka dosing, sugar dosing, zeolites, amino acids, or any type of bacterial dosing? Do you feed anything to the sps like cyclopeeze or pods or rotifers? Would you happen to be able to take a picture and post it?

Thanks

Im going to borrow some water tests from a friend. No the browning of the montiporas started about a week before i changed the light bulbs. And the paleness of the Acropora started just a few days after i changed the light bulbs.

I use Balling method in my tank to keep up CA, MG, and KH, i also use Fauna Marine Ultra Min S and i feed with plancton and rotifers once a week. that is the only thing i dose in the tank.

Thanks

I have now made some more water tests that i borrowed.

MG: 1450
    CA:440
    KH: 8.5
    PH:8,2
    NO3: 2,4ppm
    NO2: 0
    PO4: 0

and still the montiporas are brownish and the acropora is pale.

/Tom

My Mood
    Twisted
    Thanks

Im going to borrow some water tests from a friend. No the browning of the montiporas started about a week before i changed the light bulbs. And the paleness of the Acropora started just a few days after i changed the light bulbs.
    The browning Montis could still be from elevated nutrients, but it might be hard to make out in the acros if they are also bleaching from the new lights. Keep an eye on the acros, but my money would be on them being stressed from the increase in light.
    I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

My Mood
    Shocked
    Thanks

+1 on the lights, I have one that started to turn brown in my display so I was able to take it out of there and put it in
    my frag tank which has new bulbs and it has colored right up. Needless to say I have since bought new bulbs.
    "Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.”
    "I'm multi-talented: I can talk and piss you off at the same time" "Life is like a roller coaster, and I'm about to throw up."
    “A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though they know that you are slightly cracked”

Thanks

well i have now made even more water test

PH: 8,3
    KH: 9
    CA:440
    MG:1450
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 0,02
    PO4: 0

Isnt those water parameters the best you can get? And still the montiporas are brown and i dont know what the hell is wrong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Thanks

Can you show a picture of the corals and your tank?

Do you have any algaes, hair algae,bryopsis, lobophora, etc., growing in your tank? And what are you using to measure phosphates(PO4)? Absolute zero is not good and not really possible, I am guessing you are using a titration style test kit and not a photometer. If using a titration sstyle test kit, the only one that I know of that measures in fairly accurate low range is the D&D merk test kit, and it is pricey.

Thanks

DSC_0004..jpgDSC_0003..jpgDSC_0001..jpgDSC_0002..jpgDSC_0005..jpgI use saliferts PO4 test. No i dont have any algae at all in my tank, its totaly clean, algae just dont survive in my tank not even macro algae